jeudi 19 septembre 2013

The gift of giving



A few years ago, I was living in Los Angeles, California. It was a time a discovery, of challenges and amazements!
One day, feeling a bit discouraged, as my career as an actor was not really going the way I wanted it to go; I decided to take a walk. Something rather peculiar when you live in L.A.!
At that time, I did not have a place of my own, so I was living with a friend of mine, in Hollywood, close to the Chinese Theatre. Everybody knows the Chinese Theatre in L.A.. For those of you who do not, the Oscar ceremony used to take place there.
As I was walking, my mind full of gloomy thoughts and envisioning the future like some difficult and torturous place, some woman came towards me. She stopped and said: « You are so lucky! So young and good looking! ». And she went by, barely listening to my embarrassed thank you...

I stood there. Astonished. Touched. Moved and... Happy!

I will NEVER forget this woman. She gave me something special that day. Something precious. She gave me the gift of giving.
She got out of her way to spread something beautiful, something unique... To give, generously, something to a somebody she did not know, a ray of sun, a smile, a hope. All those things human being are starving for. How did she get that this was exactly what I needed that day? I will never know. But it makes me happy, sometimes, to know that this woman is still somewhere in L.A., giving to others what she gave me that day!

Now, there is something else I have learned. Something I did not know then. She made me feel like a million bucks, for sure... but she probably felt like ten times more!

You should try this! It’s easy as: «You are so lucky! So young and good looking! »

Go find somebody who needs your kindness, your attention, your sweet words... and give them all...

1 commentaire:

Catherine Lagarde a dit…

cela me fait penser à ça :

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/31/magazine/is-giving-the-secret-to-getting-ahead.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Catherine